Wednesday 6 December 2017

Top Marks

"Well that's a rarity, my wife usually gets bottom marks."

We were standing at the cheese counter in Waitrose, they had a 50% offer day on their cheeses, only the ones from the counter not the ones on their refrigerated shelves. They were busy and people were clustered round waiting to be served or nibbling the samples. We wanted a strong English cheddar and the girl pushed a plate our way and said to help ourselves and tell her which one we liked. I did, there was one outstanding as far as I was concerned and I pointed it out to the assistant, she beamed and said it was their best seller amongst the really mature Cheddars, I must know my cheeses and I get top marks. That was when P said I usually got bottom marks. I felt my face go red, how could he say that! I kicked his ankle and said I was going to the meat counter, quite a few were taking an interest in the cheddar now. P said he'd have a kilo but the girl showed him a smaller block and said that was all they'd got left, he said he'd take it. A posh lady next to him had tasted a piece and said she wanted some too but the girl told her there was no more until next delivery, she turned to P and said she'd have to stalk him and get some off him. P said he'd auction it.

The funny bit was he came over to me with the cheese and he hadn't even looked at the price, I took it from him and said no wonder it was nice its £16 per kilo. I laughed when his face changed and he said he'd take it back and the posh lady could have it! Then I reminded him it was all half price and he'd only had a small piece. He calmed down but he did say I'd better not get too much of a liking for it or there definitely would be some bottom marks.

Don't forget tomorrow is the Great Online Cookie Exchange.  Lots of yummy recipes to try. Hope you'll stop by.

Ronnie
xx

9 comments:

an English Rose said...

hi Ronnie, Oh my husband is always making those double edged remarks too, just to make me blush when we are in company, cheeky devils!
love Jan, xx

Roz said...

Hi Ronnie, I am slowly making my way back to blogland bit by bit. Thank you again so much for your lovely post, I can't tell you how much it means to me. The support from blog friends has been overwhelming.

Happy Blogiversary! Oh my, I would have been so embarrassed, maybe P deserves a spanking lol. At least you got some premium cheese at a good price :)

Hugs
Roz

Fondles said...

I can't imagine how embarrassed you must have been. But hurray for half price cheese! I love cheese too! :)

Hermione said...

Hi Ronnie,

I don't believe the shop assistant picked up on the double meaning. The cheese sounds lovely. I buy 2 year old cheddar, and sometimes five - so delicious!

Hugs,
Hermione

PK said...

I do love P! I think getting bottom marks is wonderful, but I do wonder what those listening thought.

Rosie Jones said...

How embarrassing, Ronnie! I like a good mature cheddar too, hope you and P enjoyed it.
Rosie xx

Cat said...

Fun story, Ronnie...thanks for sharing. Sounds like that cheese could be a win/win for you in the future. You get yummy cheese and marks on your bottom for spending so much money. ;)

Hugs and blessings...Cat

Ella said...

Funny how they get a little full of themselves when they are the ones to wield the paddle (or cane.) Glad you shared it.

I will have one to tell soon. While we were on a short holiday, we went to an antique store out in the country. Sam found me after we had wandered our own ways, and he was slapping something wooden in the palm of his hand. It was a very old 18 inch ruler out of some very heavy wood. All he said to the cashier was, "I have been looking for one of these."

Ella Says Yikes

ronnie said...

Jan - I can never think of a quick reply when I'm in a crowd like that as it makes me blush, cheeky devils indeed. Thanks.

Roz - It's good to see you Roz. I have been thinking about you. He really is naughty:) Thanks.

Fondles - I should be used to it by now but I' not. Cheese is delicious. Thanks.

Hermione - I don't think I've every tired a five year old cheese. Thanks.

PK - I think they were too busy looking at the cheese. Thanks.

Rosie - The cheese is lovely but I think I could go for a more mature one. Thanks.

Cat - I'll be mentioning that cheese again to him:) Thanks.

Ella - I shall look forward to your story. LOL. I would hide that ruler, P have one like that. Ouch indeed. Thanks.

Love,
Ronnie
xx